Established in October 1949 and officially inaugurated in March 1950, Karnataka University, Dharwad is accredited by NAAC with an ‘A’ grade and has been awarded the title ‘University with Potential for Excellence’ (UPE) by the University Grants Commission.
The jurisdiction of the university covers Dharwad, Gadag, Haveri, and Uttara Kannada districts. The campus spans around 888 acres offering various courses in Arts, Commerce, Education, Law, Management, Science and Technology, and Social Sciences, etc.
Departments and Courses offered by KU, Dharwad
Various Courses offered by different departments at Karnataka University, Dharwad is as follows: Expand to know more!
- Department of English: M.A, M.Phil and Ph.D in English. Total intake is 50.
- Department of Folklore: M.A., M.Phil and Ph.D. in Folklore. Total intake is 18.
- Department of Foreign Languages: Certificate courses in French/German/Russian and Spanish, Diploma Courses in French/German/Russian. Advanced Diploma Courses in French/German/ Russian. Total intake is 120.
- Department of Hindi: M.A. in Hindi and P.G. Diploma in Translation and Functional Hindi. Total intake including all disciplines is 140.
- Department of Kannada: M.A, M.Phil and Ph.D in Kannada. Total intake including all disciplines is 416.
- Department of Marathi: M.A. in Marathi. Total intake is 11
- Department of Music: M.A. in Music & Fine Arts. Total intake is 15.
- Department of Sanskrit: M.A., Advance Diploma and Certificate Course in Sanskrit. Total intake including all disciplines is 32.
- Department of Urdu and Persian: M.A. in Urdu and M.A. in Persian. Total intake including all disciplines is 30.
- Kannada Research Institute: P.G. Diploma in Epigraphy. Total intake is 30.
- Department of Applied Genetics: M.Sc. and Ph.D in Applied Genetics. Total intake including all disciplines is 16.
- Department of Bio-Chemistry: M.Sc., Ph.D. and M.Phil in Bio-Chemistry. Total intake including all disciplines is 22.
- Department of Bio-technology & Micro Biology: M. Sc in Biotechnology and Microbiology. Total intake including all disciplines is 60.
- Department of Botany: M.Sc. Botany. Total intake is 44.
- Department of Chemistry: M.Sc. Chemistry (Organic/Inorganic/Physical), M.Sc. Chemistry (General), M.Sc. Chemistry (Analytical) M.Sc. Chemistry (Industrial). Total intake including all disciplines is 192.
- Department of Computer Science: M.Sc. (Computer Science), MCA (Master of Computer Applications), PGDCA (P.G. Diploma in Computer Applications). Total intake including all disciplines is 460.
- Department of Electronics: M.Sc. Electronics. Total intake is 25.
- Department of Geography (Pure / Applied): M.Sc. Geography. Total intake is 25.
- Department of Geology (Pure / Applied): M.Sc. Geology. Total intake is 25.
- Department of Mathematics: M.Sc. in Mathematics. Total intake including all disciplines is 130.
- Department of Physics: M.Sc, M.Phil. and Ph.D. in Physics. Total intake including all disciplines is 128.
- Department of Statistics: M.A/ M.Sc in Statistics. Total intake is 35.
- Department of Zoology: M.Sc in Zoology. Total intake is 35.
Social Science Department
- Department of A. I. History & Epigraphy: M.A in A. I. History & Epigraphy. Total intake is 33.
- Department of Anthropology: M.A./ M.Sc. in Anthropology. Total intake is 22.
- Department of Criminology & Forensic Science: M.A. in Criminology and Forensic Science. Total intake is 28.
- Department of Economics: M.A in Economics. Total intake is 190.
- Department of Gandhian Studies: P.G. Diploma in Gandhian Studies. Total intake is 50.
- Department of History & Archaeology: M.A. History and Archaeology. Total intake is 71.
- Department of Jainology: P.G. Diploma in Jainology. Total intake is 20.
- Department of Journalism & Mass Communication: M.A in Mass Communication and Journalism, M.Sc in Electronic Media. Total intake including all disciplines is 60.
- Department of Library and Information Science: Master of Library and Information Science. Total intake is 22.
- Department of Philosophy: M.A. in Philosophy. Total intake is 17.
- Department of Physical Education: M.P.Ed. (Master of Physical Education). Total intake is 40.
- Department of Political Science: M.A. in Political Science. Total intake is 50.
- Department of Psychology: M.A in Psychology. Total intake is 25.
- Department of Social Work: M.S.W (Master of Social Work). Total intake including all disciplines is 147.
- Department of Sociology: M.A. Sociology. Total intake is 50.
- Department of Yoga Studies: P.G. Diploma in Yoga and Certificate Course in Yoga. Total intake is 100.
KUD offers Master of Commerce(M.Com), Master of Philosophy(M.Phil) & Doctor of Philosophy(Ph.D) courses in Commerce field. Total intake including all disciplines is 692.
KUD offers Master of Laws(LL.M), Master of Philosophy(M.Phil) & Doctor of Philosophy(Ph.D). courses in Law. Total intake is 22.
KUD offers M.Ed., M.Phil & Ph.D. Courses in Education field. Total intake including all disciplines is 205.
KUD offers MBA course in Kousali Institute of Management Studies. Total intake is 60.
International Diploma course in Reproductive Health Management (IDRHM)
The course was launched in 2001 as part of collaboration among Karnatak University, Dharwad, with University of Groningen, The Netherlands. Total intake is 20.
The Karnataka University, Dharwad offers B.A, B.Sc, B.Com, BBA, BCA in various disciplines in the colleges under its jurisdiction.
There are 4 Postgraduate Centers affiliated with Karnataka University, Dharwad. They are as follows
- Postgraduate Center – Belgaum: Karnataka University’s Belgaum Campus was established on 26-6-1982. The center includes Seven Departments namely Commerce, Economics, Geography, Mathematics, Sociology, Kannada, and Marathi. The campus is having an independent Library with adequate collections of documents.
- Postgraduate Center – Karwar: KUD opened a PG center in 1968 to study Marine Science at Karwar, the district headquarters of Uttara Kannada district, about 175 km away from the main campus. Marine Zoology was introduced as a specialization of M.Sc. degree in Zoology and a Laboratory was established at Kodibag Karwar, with facilities for nearshore research.
- Postgraduate Center – Kerimattihalli, Haveri District: Karnataka University’s Post Graduate Centre at Kerimattihalli in Haveri District was established in the year 2001. The P.G.Centre is located at Kerimattihalli, about 8 km from Haveri, and spread over an area of 48 acres. It offers PG courses in 6 disciplines namely Commerce, Kannada, English, Sociology, Social Work, Mass Communication, and Journalism
- Postgraduate Center – Gadag: PG Center at Gadag was started in the year 2000. It offers PG courses in Master of Commerce(M.Com), Master of Business Administration(MBA), and Post Graduate Diploma in Computer Application (PGDCA). The intake respectively for M.Com, MBA, and PGDCA courses is 43,60 and 30.