Citizens of Hubballi Dharwad were constantly making demands for an IIT to be set up in Dharwad for long. In fact, it was a demand that has been on for almost two decades.
In 1997, Mr.S.R.Bommai was Union minister for Human Resources in the IK Gujral Cabinet. After finding that no new IIT had been established in the country for long, he appointed a Committee to find a suitable place.
The committee was headed by renowned scientist UR Rao. The committee was formed to identify a suitable place to set up an IIT. The UR Rao Committee recommended that Dharwad was suitable to host an IIT.
Nearly two-decade-old demand for setting up an Indian Institute of Technology (IIT) at Dharwad was about to become reality with the announcement of IIT in Karnataka by Finance Minister Arun Jaitely in the Budget Session of 2015-16.
Let us have a look at Chronological events that ensured Dharwad got the prestigious Indian Institute of Technology (IIT).
- Central Government requested the Government of Karnataka to suggest a suitable place to establish an IIT.
- Then Chief Minister of Karnataka, Shri Siddharamaiah zeroed in three places Mysuru, Raichur, and Dharwad to establish an IIT in Karnataka. Now it was up to the Central Government to select one of the three places.
- After lots of scrutinies, Dharwad was selected to host an IIT. Availability of space for Temporary Campus and Around 500 acres of land for Permanent Campus was one of the criteria of selection, for which Dharwad was ready.
- Some of the other criteria for choosing the place of IIT were Knowledge connectivity, Industrial connectivity, Information Technology connectivity, Infrastructure connectivity, and Physical connectivity alongside with space for Temporary and Permanent Campus.
- IIT Dharwad was formally inaugurated on 28 August 2016 in a Temporary Campus, at the Water and Land Management Institute (WALMI) building in Belur on the outskirts of Dharwad.
- As part of the mentorship plan, IIT Bombay was selected as a Mentor Institute for IIT Dharwad.
Read More about IIT-Dharwad here – Indian Institute of Technology (IIT), Dharwad.